Bilingual Bible School
Our bilingual program provides a great experience for these students to take a “gap year” to grow in their personal relationship with God and experience the reality of Christ living in them through Bible study, living in community, and serving in ministry.
Grow deeper in the knowledge of Christ
Through our time in the Bible, Community and Ministry, we aim to achieve these goals:
- Build a strong Biblical foundation in the life of each student through Bible classes, personal Bible reading, and directed Bible study.
- Expose students to cross-cultural ministries by working in the local community every week and on a one-week mission trip.
- Start or build upon second language acquisition of Spanish.
- Learn to live in community and serve one another through shared responsibilities and activities.
- Equip them to be leaders and disciple-makers.
Our program is composed of two 4-month terms that run each year from February through May, and August through November. Admission is for either or both semesters.
During the first month, students are placed in small group language classes along with Bible classes. These language classes offer the benefit of students to start developing a second language acquisition of Spanish. The next three months are focused on Bible classes and weekly ministries.
We offer a varied program that combines theoretical Bible study in two languages (English and Spanish) with practical application in ministry. Grow in your knowledge and study of the Bible through:
- Interactive Bilingual Bible Classes
- Daily Bible Reading
- Weekly Bible Study Methods Practice
- Small Group Study & Discussion
Typical List of Courses
Actual course may vary
- Intensive Spanish (February/ August)
- 1,2 Kings
- Minor Prophets
- 1,2 Timothy
- Prayer in the Bible
- Perspectives in Missions
- Doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- Progress of Redemption
- Introduction to the Bible
- Bible Study Methods
Students at Portantorchas become part of a Christian community that is focused around Christ. Community at Portantorchas looks like:
- Putting into action the Biblical principles that we see in God's Word.
- Honoring, loving and serving others from diverse cultures.
- Developing profound friendships among 20-30 other students.
- Sharing meals, family time, lodging, and doing life together.
- Loads of fun, adventure, and great memories.
“Learning to live in community with people from different cultures was an amazing experience that showed me what the Body of Christ really is.” ~Ricky Rojas (student)
Throughout Bible school, students will have opportunities to put into practice what they are learning as they go on outreach, into the the local communities and abroad, sharing the Gospel and the love of Jesus Christ.
Students participate in weekly Ministry Outreaches:
- Outdoor Adventure Camps
- Women’s & Men’s Shelters
- Helen Keller Center for the blind
- On-campus Worship
- Neighborhood Soccer Club
Short-term Mission Trip
Plan and go on a one-week mission trip to share the Gospel and love of Christ through relationally based activities:
- Community Development
- Local Church Programs
- Community / School Outreaches
For 2018/19, the cost of each semester at Portantorchas will be: USD $5250.
This price includes
- Room and Board (3 meals a day, sheets, blankets and pillow provided)
- Spanish Language Classes (60+ hours) – each semester
- Bible School Classes
- Visa Renewal Trip Outside of Costa Rica
- Access to Washer/Dryers
- Week long Mission Trip*
- Shared Internet Access
- $25 Room Deposit (returned at end of semester)
* The basic costs of the Mission Trip are covered by your tuition payment. However, raising additional funds may become part of the student preparation for the mission trip if the group chooses to purchase additional materials, supplies, etc. in order to meet a need in the community where the mission trip takes place.
February 2nd – February 3rd (Student Arrival)
February 4th (Classes Start)
June 1st – June 2nd (Student Departure)
2019 FallAugust 17th - August 18th (Student Arrival)
August 19th (Classes Start)
December 14th – December 15th (Student Departure)
Our mission trips are designed to be a unique experience in which the participants will have the opportunity for personal growth through communicating the gospel of Jesus and through sharing love in service to others.